Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on October 13th, 2021
The October 13th, 2021 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action to suspend an employee without pay pending termination.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent started his remarks by recognizing this month as National Cyber Security Awareness month, which includes cyber safety curriculum being implemented at all schools later this month. He also recognized LGBTQ+ History Month, Filipino American History Month, World Teachers’ Day, World Mental Health Day, Week of the School Administrator and National School Lunch Week. Superintendent asked all to take time to celebrate your teacher, administrator, and school lunch colleagues and learn more about LGBTQ+ history, Filipino American history, and mental health.
- Superintendent shared that yesterday a virtual Staff Town Hall was held sharing current COVID-19 procedures, information on vaccine mandates, and answered some frequently asked questions from our teams. Thank you to the over 1,000 staff who joined live. For all who were not able to join live, the recording and materials were sent to all staff yesterday afternoon via your Fresno Unified email account. Many pieces of the information are also available publicly on our COVID-19 webpage which can be accessed by heading to www.fresnounified.org/covid19. Superintendent asked that supervisors, administrators, and managers please ensure that staff who do not have regular access to email get this information as well.
- Superintendent directed the Fresno Unified family to the COVID-19 webpage as the best place to find the latest information on our COVID-19 protocols, as federal, state, and local health guidance changes quite often. This webpage is open to everyone and can be accessed through our www.fresnounified.org. On the webpage are the district’s current health and safety guidelines, information on how the district addresses symptomatic students and staff, how symptomatic students and staff can return to school or work, the district’s contact tracing processes, self-health screening tool, vaccination and testing resources, our COVID-19 dashboard, and other resources and safety plans.
- Superintendent shared the district will be holding additional monthly virtual staff town halls through at least January and will also be hosting a community town hall later this month for our students, parents, families, and community partners.
- Superintendent reminded everyone that Fresno Unified is currently surveying families, staff, and students in grades 3-12 on a handful of school climate and culture indicators. This survey is an opportunity for students, staff and families to tell the district about your experiences with our district and schools and how the district can better support student’s learning. Please complete this survey by October 15th. For more information, check your email or contact your child’s school directly.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming the Month of October National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- Approved Agreement with KnowBe4 for Cybersecurity Awareness Training
- Approved Agreement with Expo Inc.
- Approved Addendum to the Independent Contractor Services Agreement with Amanda Nicolson, Ph.D., LLC
- Approved Amendment for Joint Apprenticeship Training Funds and Hourly Rate as Allocated by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office
- Ratified Independent Contractor Services Agreement with Educational Leadership Foundation
- Ratified Change Orders
- Ratified the Filing of a Notice of Completion
- Ratified Purchase Orders from July 01, 2021 through July 31, 2021 – Primary Report
- Ratified Purchase Orders from July 01, 2021 through July 31, 2021 – Supplemental Report (Trustee Jonasson-Rosas abstained pursuant Board Bylaw 9270)
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Approved Renaming of J. C. Forkner Elementary School to H. Roger Tatarian Elementary School
- Discussed and Approved Nomination of Committee Members that will Develop a Draft Policy on Renaming School Facilities
- Opportunity for Public Discussion of the Fresno Teachers Association – Social Workers Unit Initial Proposal to Fresno Unified School District
- Opportunity for Public Discussion and Adopted of the Fresno Unified School District Initial Proposal to Fresno Teachers Association – Social Workers Unit
- Opportunity for Public Disclosure and Ratified of the 2021-2024 Negotiated Collective Bargaining Agreement between Fresno Unified School District and California School Employees Association, Chapter 125
- Presented and Discussed Fresno Unified School District’s Elementary and Secondary Emergency Relief Expenditure Plan
- Discussed and Approved Creation of Attendance Boundary for Herrera Elementary School, and Adjustments to Attendance Boundaries for Ayer, Aynesworth, and Storey Elementary Schools
- Discussed and Adopted Resolution No. 21-09 to Censure Trustee Slatic
Finally, the Board of Education received the following Information and Reports:
- Received Proposed Board Policy Revisions
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, October 27th, 2021. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.