Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on November 17th, 2021
The November 17th, 2021 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board reported no action out of closed session.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent recognized November as California Runaway and Homeless Youth Awareness Month and shared his gratitude to our Department of Prevention and Intervention teams who provide support for our youth in transition.
- Superintendent also recognized November as Sikh Heritage Month. The California Legislature proclaimed November 2021 as Sikh Heritage Month. Our Sikh and Punjabi community have made incredible contributions locally, statewide and nationally. Superintendent encouraged all to take some time this month to learn more and to celebrate our Sikh community.
- Superintendent thanked all staff who joined for our second virtual staff town hall yesterday afternoon. Superintendent and team were able to answer some common questions from staff regarding the most up to date COVID-19 protocols, substitute recruitment efforts and progress, and much more. Staff should have received the recording and presentation via email from Communications this afternoon.
- Superintendent shared the district’s joint statement with Fresno Teachers Association from Monday. “Fresno Unified and the Fresno Teachers Association continue to discuss ways in which to address teacher concerns around planning and preparation time. We announced on Monday the first agreed-upon method meant to provide flexibility. Beginning this past Monday, all scheduled PL/PLC meetings for the remainder of the first semester are at the discretion of the educators on site, without expectation of mandated meeting hours. We recognize that this pandemic version of education has been a challenge for all involved and that supporting our classrooms is our first priority. We look forward to continued collaboration in support of teaching and learning.”
- Superintendent shared that himself and members of the Executive Cabinet had the opportunity to tour Juan Felipe Herrera Elementary yesterday. Superintendent shared his gratitude to Principal Naranjo and to the Facilities team for a wonderful tour. Superintendent shared that our teams have learned much over the years and he is proud to see a lot of things at Herrera that are great for our elementary school students and for our local communities. Things such as; a designated music room, including rehearsal and recording areas, private office spaces for social workers, psychologists and nursing staff, maker spaces, designated preschool spaces with appropriately sized fixtures, a larger soccer field and snack bar for community games, and a school health clinic facility to be staffed by a community health partner. Superintendent reminded the Board that they will have an invite soon to tour very soon. Superintendent shared his gratitude to Fresnans for their support of bonds to help build great facilities and programs for Fresno Unified kids, and thanked the Board Trustees and the facilities team for bringing this campus to reality.
- Superintendent shared the invitation with Board Trustees to join tomorrow’s grand opening of Fresno High’s new CTE building. The facility houses a state-of-the-art Video Production studio, HVAC and Construction spaces and a Presentation Space / Career Center that will be utilized by school, district and community partners.
- Superintendent congratulated Trustee Islas for being selected as a 2021 Hero for the Central Valley Health Policy Institute in the College of Health and Human Services at Fresno State.
- Superintendent shared a video highlighting the recent basketball camp for our youth in honor of National Homeless Youth Awareness Month. The video can be seen at this link.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming November 2021 as Sikh Heritage Month
- Approved Agreement with Fresno Chaffee Zoo, Winter Camp 2021
- Approved Agreement with Artist Jason Esquivel as Part of Winter Session 2021
- Approved Agreement with Mindsets Learning, Inc. to Support Winter Camps 2021
- Approved Agreement with Springboard Collaborative
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Physmetrics, LLC
- Approved Addendum to the Center for Advanced Research and Technology Operating Agreement
- Approved Amendment to the Agreement for the California Teaching Fellows Foundation
- Approved Award of Bid 22-04, Fresh Organic Produce
- Approved Award of Bid 22-14, Ahwahnee Middle School Locker Room Heating Replacement
- Approved Award of Bid 22-15, Edison High School Multipurpose Room HVAC Replacement
- Approved Award of Request for Qualifications 22-09, Extended Learning Enrichment Services
- Ratified Agreement with Key2Ed
- Ratified Change Orders
- Ratified the Filing of Notices of Completion
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed Measure M Update and Approved Revised Measure M Investment Priorities
Finally, the Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received the Fresno Unified School District First Quarter Investment Report for Fiscal Year 2021/22
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, December 8th, 2021. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.