Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on March 9th, 2022
The March 9th, 2022 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action to promote Michele Markarian to Principal II at Forkner Elementary School.
- The Board took action to hire Ralph Meza III as Director of the Transportation Department.
- The Board took action to promote Maria Ceballos-Tapia to Executive Director in the Early Learning Department.
- The Board took action to promote Ambra O’Connor to Chief of Staff in the Superintendent’s Office.
- The Board took action to appoint William “Alex” Belanger to Chief Executive in the Operations Department.
- The Board took action to hire Natasha Baker as Chief Academic Officer.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson started his remarks by recognizing National School Social Work week, Women’s History Month, and International SEL Day.
- Superintendent then reminded the community that enrollment for Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten opened as of last week. He shared that enrollment for TK has expanded and all 4 year olds who turn 5 between September 2nd and February 2nd are eligible for enrollment. Enrollment can be completed completely online at www.fresnounified.org/enroll.
- Superintendent Nelson reminded staff that recruitment for the next National Board Cohort and Leadership Cohort are currently underway. Any interested staff can reach out to Leadership Development or Teacher Development for more information.
- Superintendent Nelson then shared a reminder that the statewide indoor mask madnate for schools will move from a requirement to a strong recommendation starting Monday, March 14th. Superintendent asked for respect and grace amongst all Fresno Unified family members, regardless of their masking choices starting next week.
- Superintendent Nelson then shared the inaugural episode of Faces of Fresno Unified – Student Edition! The first episode highlights Zera Brown of Edison High School.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meetings
- Approved Graduation Agreements for the Class of 2022
- Approved the 2022 Ballot for the California School Boards Association Delegate Assembly
- Approved Memorandums of Understanding between Fresno Unified School District and Aspen Meadow Public School, Aspen Valley Prep Academy, Sierra Charter School and University High School
- Approved Contract with Certificated Retiree Frances Buelna-Szabo
- Approved Addendum No. 4 to Master Agreement and Memorandum of Understanding and License Agreement for Fresno Unified School District Use of State Center Community College District (Fresno City College) Facilities
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Marsh & McLennan Agency
- Approved Award of Bid 22-11, Sub-Rings for Wide Area Network Services
- Approved Award of Request for Proposal 22-12, Network Equipment and Professional Services for Internal Connections
- Approved Use of Individual Piggyback Contracts
- Denied Claim GL21-0907-6548
- Ratified an Addendum with PresenceLearning, Inc.
- Ratified Change Orders
- Ratified Notices of Completion
- Ratified Purchase Orders from December 01, 2021 through December 31, 2021, and Zero Dollar Contracts
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Approved the 2021/22 Second Interim Financial Report
- Presented and Discussed the 2022/23 Strategic Budget Development
The Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received Proposed Revisions for Board Policies
- Received Constituent Services Quarterly Reporting
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be on Wednesday, March 16th, 2022. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.