Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on March 16th, 2022
The March 16th, 2022 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took no action in closed session.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson started his remarks congratulating Phil Neufeld for being named a Top Dog by Fresno State’s Division of Research and Graduate Studies. Superintendent also congratulated our Communications team for three awards they received from CalSPRA last week; DEI Award of Excellence for Multilingual Outreach and Materials for the New Strategic Plan, Award of Excellence for Kimeka Simmons episode of Faces of Fresno Unified, and an Award of Excellence for our Communications Student Advisory Committee’s Mental Health PSA.
- Superintendent then reminded Trustee Area 5 voters (Fresno High Region) that early voting began this week. Voting is available in person at the Fresno County Clerk’s Office (2221 Kern Street, Fresno, CA 93721) and ballots should be received by mail by April 5th.
- Superintendent invited all certificated substitutes to join our Substitute Symposium on this upcoming Monday’s buyback day. Substitutes can register this week on iAchieve and will be paid if they attend the full day symposium (9am-4pm). Questions can be directed to Edith Navarro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Superintendent then reminded staff, students, and families to please complete their Climate and Culture Survey before this Friday. For more information staff can check an email received from Communications or head to the fresnounified.org homepage.
- Superintendent then invited all sophomores, juniors and seniors interested in the Teaching field to apply for our Summer Teacher Academy. This is a paid internship opportunity where students will learn and work in our Pre-K through 6th grade classes this summer. High school graduates that successfully complete the program will be able to apply for a paid Paraprofessional position with the district. Students can learn more and apply online at https://ccr.fresnounified.org/summer-teacher-academy/.
- Last, Superintendent Nelson shared a video highlighting this past weekend’s Girl Build competition at Fresno High School. Superintendent shared his thanks to the teams for bringing this hands-on learning to our students.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meetings
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming April 2022 as Remembrance of the Existence of the Armenian Genocide Month
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming April 2022 as School Library Month
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Bilingual Cross-Cultural, Language and Development Authorization
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Career Technical Education Credential Holders
- Approved Provisional Internship Permits
- Adopted Resolution 21-36, Requesting an Exemption Renewal from the Education Code Definition of “School Building” for a Tutoring Center through the African American Academic Acceleration Program
- Approved Property, Liability, and Cyber Insurance for 2022/23
- Approved Proposed Revisions for Board Policies (TABLED BP 0410 Nondiscrimination in District Programs and Activities)
- Ratified Riverside County Superintendent of Schools Agreement for Preschool Local Assistance Grant
- Ratified Change Orders
- Ratified the Filing of a Notice of Completion
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Adopted High School Physics Curriculum
- Presented and Discussed the 2022/23 Local Control and Accountability Plan Educational Partner Input
- Presented and Discussed the 2022/23 Strategic Budget Development
The Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received Proposed Board Meeting Dates for 2022/23 and 2023/24
- Received Proposed Revisions for Board Policies
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be on Wednesday, April 6th, 2022. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.