Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on June 1st, 2022
The June 1st, 2022 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action to authorize the issuance of witness subpoenas in an expulsion case.
- The Board took action to promote Almadelia “Delia” Nuno to Principal III at Wawona K-8.
- The Board took action to promote Lisa McDannel to Principal II at Turner Elementary.
- The Board took action to promote Rodolfo Gonzalez to Principal II at Jackson Elementary.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson started his remarks recognizing the grief, heartbreak, and fear that we are all feeling after losing 19 elementary students and two teachers to a tragic shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, TX. Superintendent held a moment of silence to honor the victims and asked all to continue to send their thoughts and prayers to our brothers and sisters in Uvalde, TX.
- Superintendent Nelson then wished all a Happy Pride Month! He shared that the pride flag was raised today at the Education Center as we celebrate our LGBTQ+ community. Superintendent recognized all LGBTQ+ students, staff, and family members and shared our love.
- Superintendent shared that last week we got to celebrate 50 amazing educators at our Excellence in Education Awards. Superintendent shared special congratulations to Dawn Gardner, Classified Employee of the Year, Isabel Mayoral, Elementary Educator of the Year, Kristin Cosentino, Middle School Educator of the Year, Liz Torres, High School Educator of the Year and Eugene Renoir, Administrator of the Year! Superintendent thanked all nominees and winners for their love and dedication.
- Superintendent then shared a few shoutouts:
- Sunset Elementary for unveiling their new mural highlighting bilingualism,
- our amazing students from Edison, Duncan, McLane, Roosevelt and Baird who went to Sacramento to participate in Latina Action Day,
- our Sunnyside Ag students who built and installed a new book stand at Aynesworth,
- Teacher Gina Jones who took her amazing students for a Fresno City College visit,
- and the 470 students who are graduating with the State Seal of Biliteracy this year.
- Superintendent then reminded all to take a minute and switch your benefitting organization on Amazon Smile to our Foundation for Fresno Unified Schools. Registering your account is simple; just go to smile.amazon.com, select your charity as the Foundation for Fresno Unified Schools and then for every eligible purchase, you’ll be donating 0.5% to the Foundation, at no extra cost to you.
- Superintendent reminded families to get their students registered for our 40 free summer camps before the deadline this Friday.
- Superintendent closed his remarks sharing a great video from the iReady Academic Growth and Achievement awards across the district.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Adopted Resolution in Support of Commitment to Academic Growth and Achievement
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Approved Position and Adopted Job Description Behavior Support Advisor and Classified Management 205 Duty Day Salary Schedule
- Approved Position and Adopted Job Description Coordinator I, Extended Learning
- Approved Position and Adopted Job Description Manager II, Nurse Educator
- Approved Revised Job Description for Chief, Human Resources/Labor Relations
- Approved Agreement with California Association of Directors of Activities Central
- Approved Agreements with Fresno County Superintendent of Schools
- Approved Agreement with Regents of the University of California, Merced
- Approved Agreement with The Center for Black Educator Development
- Approved Amendment No. 2 to Agreement with First Student, Inc. for Pupil Transportation Services – Special Education Programs
- Approved Use of Individual Piggyback Contracts in 2022/23
- Approved Award of Bid 22-40, Hoover High School Library Modernization
- Approved Award of Bid 22-45, Kings Canyon Middle School Classrooms and Sunnyside High School Training Room HVAC Upgrades
- Approved Award of Bid 22-48, Sections A-C, Asphalt Pavement Rehabilitation at Various Sites – Group 1
- Approved Award of Bid 22-49, Sections A-D, Asphalt Pavement Rehabilitation at Various Sites – Group 2
- Approved Award of Request for Proposals 22-26, Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Services
- Approved the 2022/23 School Plans for Student Achievement
- Approved Rejection of Bid 22-19, Aynesworth and Calwa Elementary Schools Unit Ventilation, Energy Management System and Central Plant Equipment Replacement
- Denied Claim GL21-0728-7081
- Ratified Agreement between Cerritos Community College and Fresno Unified School District
- Ratified Amendment with Designing Learning Inc.
- Ratified the Filing of a Notice of Completion
- Ratified Purchase Orders from March 01, 2022 through March 31, 2022 – Primary Report
- Ratified Purchase Orders from March 01, 2022 through March 31, 2022 – Supplemental Report
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Presented and Discussed Fresno Unified Student Engagement and Leadership Activities
- Held Public Hearing, Presented and Discussed Fresno Unified School District’s 2022/23 Local Control and Accountability Plan
- Held Public Hearing, Presented and Discussed Fresno Unified School District’s 2022/23 Proposed Budget and Education Protection Account
The Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received Resolution 21-42, Authorizing the Issuance and Sale of General Obligation Bonds, Election of 2020 (Measure M), Series B, in the Aggregate Principal Amount of Not to Exceed $125,000,000, and Authorizing the Execution and Delivery of Documents and Actions in Connection Therewith
- Received Constituent Services Quarterly Reporting
- Received Proposed Revisions for Board Policies
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be on Wednesday, June 15th, 2022. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.