Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on February 2nd, 2022
The February 2nd, 2022 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action on one worker’s compensation claim.
- The Board took action to promote Ryan Duff to Principal III at Tenaya Middle School.
- The Board took action to promote Rodney Branch to Principal IV and Cesar Chavez Adult School.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson recognized February as national Black History Month. He acknowledged the fantastic 8th Annual Edison Region Black History Month program broadcasted yesterday. Superintendent thanked the Gaston and Edison Black Student Unions, the Student Engagement department, the director Lisa Mitchell, the choreographer Staci Jones, and all involved for putting on another impactful program highlighting “The Untold Stories” of our Black and African American history. Superintendent reminded all they can watch the recorded program through a link on our district’s website and homepage at www.fresnounified.org. Superintendent also encouraged all to dedicate time throughout this month to learn, honor and share the untold stories of black and African American history.
- Superintendent Nelson then acknowledged the new mini-pitch soccer field constructed at Computech Middle School. Superintendent Nelson shared his thanks to a national partnership between Black Players for Change, Black Women’s Play Collective, the U.S. Soccer Foundation, Musco Lighting and Adidas, for selecting Computech as one of 18 recipients across the nation for a new Mini-Pitch Soccer Field.
- Superintendent then shared to opportunity for staff to join our Cultural Proficiency Trainer of Trainers professional learning certification. Participants learn important content on Cultural Proficiency, design an action plan, learn and use presentation skills, and utilize facilitation skills for group development. Staff interested can learn more and register here.
- Superintendent shared his excitement at our McLane Medical Education & Research Academy are being honored as the Fresno County Superintendent’s Superstars for January. Students will be honored at the upcoming Fresno County Board of Education Meeting on February 17th by Superintendent Jim Yovino for their efforts in promoting COVID-19 prevention, testing, and vaccination. Students were accepted as Junior Community Health Workers with the Immigrant Refugee Coalition and did great work to provide education while serving and supporting our community. Special shoutouts were shared to Santiago Ocegueda, Andrea Gracida, Gisel Gonzalez Villa, and Nereida Galvaz Penaloza who will be accepting the award on behalf of the Medical Education & Research Academy at McLane.
- Superintendent Nelson announced to our Class of 2022 that applications are now open for our Fresno Unified Scholarship Fund. Seniors are encouraged to apply online before the deadline of March 1st, 2022. The application can be accessed from our district website homepage, www.fresnounified.org, as well as by clicking here. Any questions can be directed to our College and Career Readiness team at FUSDScholarship@fresnounified.org.
- Superintendent also reminded all to attend the upcoming Community Roundtables which inform our LCAP plans and budgeting. All can find the full schedule on our website or by clicking here.
- Last, Superintendent reminded all that they can find daily highlights of schools and departments on our social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn). He shared a highlight from last week on Addicott’s Music Garden which you can watch by clicking here.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming the Month of February 2022 as African American History Month
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meetings
- Approved Appointment of Lourdes Medina to the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
- Ratified an Agreement between Fresno Unified School District Early Learning Department and WestEd
- Ratified Change Orders for the Projects Listed Below
- Ratified Purchase Orders from November 01, 2021 through November 30, 2021
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Adopted Academic Calendars for 2022/23 and 2023/24
- Presented and Discussed the 2022/23 Strategic Budget Development
The Board of Education received no Information or Reports during this meeting.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, February 16th, 2022. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.