The December 8th, 2021 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action on a worker’s compensation claim.
- The Board took action to promote Armen Torigian from Principal III at Tenaya Middle School to Principal V at Bullard High School.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent began his remarks sharing the saddening trend happening across the Valley currently, an increase of school threats mostly through social media. He recognized this increase of school threats following the tragic school shooting in Michigan where four students were killed and seven others were injured. Superintendent shared that all threats are investigated by the police and that parents are made aware of any threats and their investigation outcome. Many students making these threats are doing so as a joke and are putting very little thought into the heavy consequences of these split-second decisions. Superintendent asks parents and students to please talk about and think about those consequences before posting or reposting any school threats. Those consequences oftentimes include suspension, expulsion, arrest, and/or criminal charges which can effect a student’s ability to obtain employment or go to the college of their choice. You can see a video from our students here about thinking before you post and reporting not reposting any social media threat you see.
- Superintendent share with staff that upon board approval this evening, payroll will start running for all staff to receive a separate check by December 17th accounting for the 4% pay raise retroactive from July 1st, 2021 through November, as well as the one-time half percent payment. Superintendent asked staff to please give our payroll team until the 17th to receive your check. In your regular December check, you will see your raise accounted for moving forward. Superintendent thanked our entire staff for the hard work you continue to do each day, to our fiscal and payroll teams for making this happen, and to the Board for their support.
- Superintendent reminded staff that recruitment for volunteer Academic Decathlon judges is now underway. Judges are needed for the speech and interview portions of the competition and there is training available for all judges. The events will be held virtually on Saturday, January 29th – so judges can do training and judging all from the comfort of their own homes. If you are interested, please email Mike Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Superintendent invited Trustees to please join our team for a press conference this Friday at 11am where we will be detailing some of Fresno Unified’s many family resources to support at-home learning with their students. This is in direct effort to continue moving forward with our district goal to increase inclusive opportunities for our families to engage in their students’ education. Superintendent shared excitement to share some of Fresno Unified’s new and existing resources for parents and students to encourage learning outside of the school day.
- Last, Superintendent shared an ABC30 story on Tenaya’s Campus Culture Director, Austin Lemay, whose dance moves went viral on social media and garnered attention from national news, celebrities, and millions online. You can see that story by clicking here.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Adopt Resolution in Support of Dual Enrollment
- Adopt Fresno Unified School District Resolution #21-14
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Elixir Insurance Company
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Kaiser Permanente
- Approved Agreement with Activities Integrating Math and Science Education Foundation for Fresno Unified Winter Session 2021
- Approved Agreement with Arte Americas
- Approved Agreement with Deborah McCoy
- Approved the California Teaching Fellows Foundation to Support Winter Camps 2021- Mindsets Learning, Inc. Agreement
- Approved Agreement with Adventure Education Solutions
- Approved Request for Material Revision by Aspen Meadow Public School
- Approved Request for Material Revision by Aspen Valley Prep Academy
- Approved Grant Application to the California Department of Education for National School Lunch Program Equipment Assistance
- Approved Use of Individual Piggyback Contracts
- Approved Rejection of Bid 22-16, Tenaya Middle School Office and Site/Walk Improvements
- Ratified Addendum with New Life Physical Therapy Services, dba Goodfellow Therapy
- Ratified Agreement with Good Company Players for Fifth Graders to See Founding Fathers and Mothers
- Ratified Grant Application to the California Department of Rehabilitation for the We Can Work Grant
- Ratified Change Orders for the Projects Listed Below (see agenda for list)
- Ratified the Filing of Notice of Completion
- Ratified Purchase Orders from September 1, 2021 through September 30, 2021 – Primary Report
- Ratified Purchase Orders from September 1, 2021 through September 30, 2021 – Supplemental Report (Trustee Jonasson-Rosas abstained pursuant Board Bylaw 9270)
- Ratified NAVEX Service Agreement
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Presented and Discussed Special Education Update
- Presented and Discussed Redistricting of Trustee Areas within Fresno Unified School District
- Discussed and Approved the 2020/21 Audited Financial Statements Prepared by Crowe LLP
- Discussed and Approved the 2021/22 First Interim Financial Report
- Held Public Hearing to Present and Discuss the Educator Effectiveness Block Grant
Finally, the Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received Results of Issuance and Sale of 2021 Refunding General Obligation Bonds
- Received Constituent Services Quarterly Reporting
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, December 15th, 2021. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.