Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on August 10th, 2022
The August 10th, 2022 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of closed session:
- The Board took action to promote Lauren Ailanjian-Trzeciak to Principal II at Ayer Elementary School.
- The Board took action two worker’s compensation settlements.
- The Board took action to promote
- The Board took action to promote
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson started his remarks welcoming all enthusiastically to the 2022/2023 school year! Superintendent shared his excitement and gratitude as we move into a new school year, as close to “normal” as we have had in a few years.
- Superintendent spent the rest of his remarks sharing his gratitude for several great things happening in the district including;
- Teachers and administrators highly engaged in their professional learning during their “buyback day” today, all focused on teaching and learning and not overwhelmed by COVID protocols as in years past,
- Successful summer learning which included summer academies at almost all school sites in June, and over 40 summer camps throughout the month of July – all fantastic opportunities for our students to learn and build relationships,
- Starting the 22/23 school year with a 99.9% teacher fill rate with 76% of our newly hired teachers coming through our own teacher development pipeline programs,
- A newly executed side letter agreement with our labor partners FASTA, increasing our daily pay rate for substitute teachers to $200, preparing our district to be highly competitive in the case of an increased need for substitutes during a COVID spike,
- High quality professional learning happening across the district all summer including our leadership camp, our new leader onboarding, paraprofessional and office staff trainings, and more,
- IT’s work to bring Promethean smart boards to all of our elementary school classrooms over the next several weeks and opening a new temporary FLATS center at Edison High School,
- Safety improvements including Active Assailant training for staff, the “See Something, Say Something” campaign to high schools, implementation of the Raptor Visitor Management System at our school sites, an additional campus safety assistant at each of our comprehensive high schools, and the return of SROs to some of our middle schools this year,
- And lastly, Superintendent shared his gratitude for the Office of Engagement and External Partnerships for hosting the first board meeting for the Foundation for Fresno Unified Schools, their upcoming launch at the State of Education Gala on October 6th at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo. Any businesses interested in sponsoring the gala can reach out to Ms. Wendy McCulley.
- Superintendent closed his remarks sharing a way to support the Foundation for Fresno Unified Schools through Amazon Smile – check out this quick video to learn more.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Adopted Resolution 22-02 180-Day Wait Period Exception and Approved Retiree Contract
- Adopted Resolution 22-01, Approving the Self-Certifying Increased Micro Purchase Threshold
- Approved Provisional Internship Permits
- Approved Reclassification of Manager II – Special Education/Principal I to Principal II for Rata High School and Addicott K-8 School
- Approved Appointments to the Audit Committee
- Approved Budget Revision No. 1 for Fiscal Year 2022/23
- Approved Annual Agreements for the 2022/23 School Year
- Approved Hiring Noncredentialled Consultants for the 2022/23 School Year Per California Education Code 58803
- Approved Credentialled Teachers to Coach One Period of Competitive Sport for Physical Education Credit for the 2022/23 School Year per California Education Code 44258.7(b)
- Approved Retiree Contracts for Elementary Music Teachers
- Denied Claim GL21-0728-7081
- Ratified Agreement with Linda Hoff, PhD
- Ratified Change Orders
- Ratified Purchase Orders from May 01, 2022 through May 31, 2022
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Adopted 2022/23 Annual Declaration of Need for Fully Qualified Educators
- Publicly Discussed of the 2023/24 Fresno Teachers Association Initial Proposal to the Fresno Unified School District
- Publicly Discussed and Adopted of the Fresno Unified School District 2023/24 Initial Proposal to the Fresno Teachers Association
- Publicly Disclosed and Ratified of the 2022/23 Negotiated Collective Bargaining Agreement between Fresno Unified School District and California School Employees Association, Chapter 125
The Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received the Initial Successor Contract Proposal for 2022-2025 from the Fresno Unified School District to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- Received the Initial Successor Contract Proposal for 2022-2025 from the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers to the Fresno Unified School District
- Received Proposed Revisions for Board Policies
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be on Wednesday, August 24th, 2022. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.