Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on October 27th, 2021
The October 27th, 2021 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action on one worker’s compensation claim.
- The Board took action to promote Kristi Imberi-Olivares to Executive Director, Research, Evaluation and Assessment within the Equity and Access Department.
- The Board took action to promote Tashiana Aquino to Executive Director (General) within the Equity and Access Department.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent reflected on what a difficult month this has been across our system and across the nation. He noted that we are not unique in our challenges or our staffing shortages. He shared his gratitude and shared an example of taking action to better the conditions and supports for our teams.
- Superintendent shared that our Human Resources team has hired over 90 new teachers for our eLearn Academy since the school year began and is actively recruiting high-quality substitutes. This helps to protect our teachers’ time and ensures our students have high-quality learning environments every day. The Teacher Development team and Human Resources team have also put on two substitute teacher hiring events where fingerprint fees were waived, and interviews were conducted on the spot. Through those two events they recruited 260 additional substitutes currently going moving through the hiring process and will soon be deployed to classrooms.
- Superintendent invited all to join us for a virtual town hall on Thursday evening at 5:30pm. The town hall is open to everyone and is focused on answering questions from our students and parents. Questions can be submitted online at https://tinyurl.com/FUSDQuestion. The virtual town hall can be joined live at https://tinyurl.com/FUSDTownHall21. Closed captions will be available in English, Spanish and Hmong and the session will also be recorded and shared on our social media channels.
- Superintendent reminded staff that open enrollment is happening now and to submit any changes to your benefits plan by Tuesday, November 30th, 2021.
- Superintendent announced to staff that nominations are open for our Excellence in Education awards. He encouraged staff to take time to nominate your colleagues as being recognized by your peers is one of the highest honors. Nominations can be submitted through this link.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Adopted Resolution Ordering the Date of the Annual Organizational Meeting of the Governing Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Career Technical Education Credential Holders
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Bilingual Cross-cultural, Language and Development Authorization
- Approved Provisional Internship Permits
- Approved Appointment of Annaliese Herms to the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
- Approved Appointment of Pablo Villagrana to the Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
- Approved Budget Revision No. 2 for Fiscal Year 2021/22
- Approved Retiree Contract with Ralph Meza to Provide Extra Support to the Transportation Department
- Approved Agreement between Fresno Unified School District Early Learning Department and Orchid Interpreting, Inc.
- Approved Agreement with Center for Leadership Equity and Research
- Approved Agreement with College Board – Advanced Placement
- Approved Addendum to Agreement with Intellias, Inc.
- Approved Amendment to Agreement with Learning Genie
- Approved Amended 2019/20 Agreement with WestEd
- Tabled Renewal Agreement with Physmetrics, LLC
- Tabled Use of Individual Piggyback Contracts
- Approved Memorandums of Understanding with Partner Organizations Involved in the Equity-Centered Pipeline Initiative
- Approved Award of Additional Vendors for Request for Qualifications 20-14, Professional Services – Construction Related Consultants
- Approved Award of Bid 22-10, Cambridge High School Installation of Privacy Plus Fencing
- Approved Proposed Revisions for Board Policies
- Ratified Change Orders
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Adopted the Fresno Unified School District’s Elementary and Secondary Emergency Relief Expenditure Plan
- Presented and Discussed Redistricting of Trustee Areas within Fresno Unified School District and Tabled Adopting Criteria for Preparation of Alternative Draft Redistricting Plans
Finally, the Board of Education received the following Information and Reports:
- Received Resolution 21-10 Authorizing the Issuance and Sale of 2021 Refunding General Obligation Bonds to Refund Outstanding General Obligation Bonds of the District and Approving Related Documents and Actions
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.