The May 23, 2018 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- Promotion of Victoria Maglieri, Vice Principal I, Powers Elementary, to Principal II, Anthony Elementary School
Next, Noel Gallardo, a parent who has had a positive impact at Wishon Elementary School, led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Student Robert Vaca from Roosevelt High School shared with the Board that Rough Riders are finishing the year strong with academic banquets that honor seniors for their hard work and dedication to their studies. Roosevelt is hosting its Inspire Tomorrow dinner for all seniors admitted to Fresno State. Next week, Roosevelt High will hold the Theos Awards Banquet and Ceremony to honor seniors who have received outstanding academic student nominations from departments. Students will also receive college scholarships. Roosevelt students are also gearing up for RHS Senior Black Light Rally: Welcome to Wakanda. The highly anticipated rally will feature surprise performances and a ceremonial rotation of classes. Also, students from Tehipite Middle School shared with the board the activities they participate in and why they love attending Tehipite.
The Board of Education recognized the Student Board Representatives for the 2017/18 School Year
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Staff will present the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) and hold a public hearing tonight. Dr. Nelson thanked Santino Danisi, the district’s entire State and Federal staff and Parent University for the unbelievable outreach to garner feedback from community stakeholders. Staff held a record number of stakeholder meetings – more than 236 – engaging labor partners, staff, students, parents and community at large. Dr. Nelson thanked all who attended the meetings and ensured their voices were heard.
- This past Monday, Dr. Nelson joined 50 dedicated Fresno Unified elementary teachers in celebrating the completion of the district’s first GATE Certification Cohort. Participants completed targeted professional learning program designed to build strategies to meet the needs of students needing academic acceleration. Manchester GATE teachers and 23 teachers representing every region of the district completed the certification.
- Congratulating all involved in the Teacher Academy Saturday Program, which is a partnership with Project Tomorrow, a nonprofit organization. It offered science-focused professional learning and supported students to compete in a recent STEM competition. Fresno Unified had winners at the local and state levels and next month, two students are moving on to represent the Teacher Academy Saturday Program in the Educators Rising National Competition in Orlando, Florida.
- Last night, the district celebrated the successful completion of Leadership Cohort 12. The 33 graduates are now among 316 leaders at Fresno Unified who have been a part of this unique leadership preparation program and make up the majority of our administrators at the site and district level. This cohort journey was not easy with many balancing life, work, families and for some, very personal struggles. Dr. Nelson congratulated the Cohort 12 graduates and their families.
- Inviting the public to join the district on Saturday, May 26 at 11 a.m. in the Roosevelt High School auditorium as we welcome back to Fresno one of our most famous Rough Rider alumnus, Audra McDonald. McDonald has won a record-breaking six Tony Awards, two Grammy Awards and an Emmy Award. She also received the 2015 National Medal of Arts from President Barack Obama, as well as being named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people. The district is thrilled to be welcoming Audra back to Fresno and Roosevelt High School as we dedicate the theater in her honor.
The Board of Education took the following actions on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved personnel list
- Adopted findings of fact and recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Approved the minutes from the February 21, 2018 regular meeting and May 9, 2018 regular meeting
- Approved agreements with Intellias Inc.
- Approved agreement with J. Elliot Marketing
- Approved Carl D. Perkins applications for funding
- Approved Child Welfare & Attendance Specialist II Revised Job Description, Designation as Classified, Non-Exempt
- Approved creation of position and adopted the Climate and Culture Specialist Job Description, Designation as Certificated, Exempt
- Approved Accelerate Wide Area Network Dark Fiber Construction
- Approved agreement with the City of Fresno for Summer Swim Program at District Pools
- Approved award of Bid 18-28, Fremont Elementary School and Edison Computech Middle School Multipurpose Rooms HVAC Improvements
- Strategic Mechanical, Inc. (Fresno, CA) $1,132,000
- Approved award of Bid 18-30, Hoover High School Electrical Infrastructure Improvements
- Wild Electric, Inc (Fresno, CA) $1,450,455
- Ratified Grant Application Update to the California Department of Education for the 2018/19 Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Title II: Adult Education and Family Literacy Act
- Ratified grant application to the 2018 Fansler Foundation Grant
- Ratified Independent Contractor Services Agreement with School Services of California, INC.
- Ratified Purchase Orders from March 1, 2018 through March 31, 2018. Board President Jonasson Rosas and Trustee Ashjian abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
Next, staff made presentations to the Board in the conference/discussion section of the agenda as follows:
- Discussed the April 2018 GO Public Schools Fresno Choosing Our Future Report and Accepted the Recommendations
- Discussed and approved the renewal petition in the Matter of the School of Unlimited Learning. Board President Jonasson Rosas abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
- Presented and approved the 2018/19 Single Plans for Student Achievement
- Presented and discussed Governor’s May Revise for 2018/19
- Held public hearing, presented and discussed Fresno Unified School District’s 2018/19 Local Control and Accountability Plan
- Held public hearing, presented and discussed Fresno Unified School District’s 2018/19 Proposed Budget and Education Protection Account
- Held public hearing, and adopted Resolution 17-41 Authorizing the Increase of Level I School Facility (Development) Fees on Residential and Commercial/Industrial Construction Projects
The Board of Education received the following information or reports:
- Fresno Unified School District’s Third Quarterly Investment Report for Fiscal Year 2017/18
- Proposed Revisions for Board Bylaws (BB) 9012 (NEW), 9121, 9220, 9230, 9240, 9321, 9323, 9400 and Exhibit (E) 9323.3
- (NEW) BB 9012 Board Member Electronic Communication
- BB 9121 President
- BB 9220 Governing Board Elections
- BB 9230 Orientation
- BB 9240 Board Development
- BB 9321 Closed Session Purposes And Agendas
- BB 9323 Meeting Conduct
- E 9323.2 Actions By The Board
- BB 9400 Board Self-Evaluation
- Proposed Revisions for Board Policies (BP) 0460, 0420.4, 0500, 0520, 3100, (NEW) 3230, 5113.1, (NEW) 5114.12, 5131.1, 5131.6, 5144, 5144.1, (NEW) 5145.31, 7214 and Deletion of 0520 and 0520.3
- BP 0460 Local Control Accountability Plan
- BP 0420.4 Charter School Authorization
- BP 0500 Review And Evaluation
- BP 0520 Intervention For Underperforming Schools (Deletion)
- BP 0520.3 Title I Program Improvement Districts (Deletion)
- BP 3100 Budget
- (NEW) BP 3230 Federal Grant Funds
- BP 5113.1 Chronic Absence And Truancy
- (NEW) BP 5113.12 District SARB
- BP 5131.1 Bus Conduct
- BP 5131.6 Alcohol And Other Drugs
- BP 5144 Discipline
- BP 5144.1 Suspension And Expulsion/Due Process
- (NEW) BP 5145.31 Gender And Identity Inclusion
- BP 7214 General Obligation Bonds
- California School Employees Association and its Fresno Chapter 143 Food Service (CSEA) Proposal to Fresno Unified School District for the 2018 – 2021 Successor Agreement
- Fresno Unified School District Proposal to California School Employees Association and its Fresno Chapter 143 Food Service (CSEA) for the 2018 – 2021 Successor Agreement
- California School Employees Association and its Fresno Chapter 125 White Collar (CSEA) Proposal to Fresno Unified School District for the 2018 – 2021 Successor Agreement
- Fresno Unified School District Proposal to California to California School Employees Association and its Fresno Chapter 125 White Collar (CSEA) for the 2018 – 2021 Successor Agreement
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare St. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board.