The May 1 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board promoted Sandra Toscano, Principal at Ewing Elementary School to Assistant Superintendent, English Learner Program and Services
- The Board took action on one worker’s compensation claim
Next, Patricia Atitya, Rata School Nurse, led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Next, Malak Sarama and Sopheaktra Sameth, ASB representatives from Sunnyside High School, shared that students recently posted their annual mural project all over campus. Students pasted over 5,000 square feet of wallpaper– 450 photos from faces all over the Sunnyside region to celebrate the big family they are. This year Sunnyside hosted Danzantes Unidos Festival, the largest folkloric festival in the state that brought people from all over the country. Six hundred students attended prom last week. Sarama also shared that Janet Saldana, a student at Sunnyside, won a Pillar of Excellence National Student Excellence Award in the category of Short Film Non-Fiction for the film “A Day in my Parents’ Shoes.” Member Sameth highlighted that Sunnyside High School has 57 valedictorians.
Students from Kings Canyon Middle School were present and spoke about what they love about being a student at their school.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Highlighting the upcoming Fresno Unified Scholarship Awards Banquet on May 9 to honor this year’s class of district recipients. Thanks to the generosity of employees and community donors, the district will award over $110, 000 in scholarships– $50, 000 more than last year.
- Nelson also shared that next week, May 6-8, is National Teacher and Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week and on Wednesday, May 8 is National School Nurses Appreciation Day. This group of educators are beyond valuable, they are the boots on the ground, changing the world for the better, not just for our students, but also for this community. Please take time next week to show some love and kindness to this special group of educators. Thank you to our teachers and our school nurses, we love you! Superintendent also recognized our 106 site principals, as today is School Principal Appreciation Day.
- Last, Superintendent shared that this Saturday at 8:30 a.m. the district will host its spring eSports gaming championships at the Hoover Event Center. The event will be larger than the first event last fall. eSports is a booming industry with numerous job opportunities beyond being a player, including game design, coding and testing.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming April 2019 as Remembrance of the Existence of the Armenian Genocide
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming May 8, 2019 as National School Nurse Day
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming May 2019 Better Hearing and Speech Month
- Approved Independent Contractor Services Agreement with Regents of the University of California, Merced
- Approved Award of Bid 19-29, McLane High School Installation of Stadium Turf and Infrastructure for Portable Restrooms
- Approved Award of Bid 19-31 Sections A-C, Lighting Improvements at Various Schools- Phase 2 ( Birney, Burroughs, Centennial, Ginsburg, Holland, Jefferson, King, Kings Canyon, Pyle, Turner and Vinland)
- Approved Award of Bid 19-32 Phase 3B, Installation of District Video Security System at Elementary Schools (Calwa, Fremont, Holland, Lane, Mayfair, Norseman, Powers-Ginsburg and Storey)
- Approved Award of Bid 19-34, Fresno High School Gymnasium Thermoplastic PVC re-Roof
- Approved Award of Bid 19-36, Fresno High School Locker Room And Weight Room HVAC Improvements
- Approved Award of Bid 19-37 Section A and B, Public Address Equipment and Video Security Equipment
- Approved Appointments to Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee
- Ratified Change Orders for the Projects Listed Below
Bid 18-24 Sections D-E, Kratt Elementary School and Tenaya Middle School Water Conservation and Irrigation Improvements
Bid 18-38 Sections B-C, Columbia, Kirk, Robinson and Thomas Elementary Schools Portable Classroom Relocation and Infrastructure
Bid 18-41, Section B, Roosevelt High School Athletic Field Improvements
Bid 18-42, McLane High School Quad Improvements
- Ratified The Filling of Notices of Completion
Next, the Board of Education discussed and took action on the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Presented and Discussed the 2019/20 Strategic Budget Development
- Conducted Public Hearing Regarding Preliminary Environmental Assessment for the District-owned Parcel located at East Church Avenue and South Orangewood Drive in Fresno, California, Related to the Recommended Relocation of the Phoenix Secondary Academy Campus
- Conducted Public Hearing Regarding Preliminary Environmental Assessment for the District-owned Parcel located at East Ventura and South 10th Street in Fresno, California, Related to the Potential Educational And administrative Site
- Received Proposed Revisions for Board Bylaws 9000, 9224 (New) and 9323.2
- BB 9000 Role of The Board (Powers and Responsibilities)
- (NEW) BB 9224 Oath of Affirmation
- BB 9324 Minutes and Recordings
- BB 9323.2 Actions by The Board
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare Street in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board