The June 14, 2017 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- Took action to seek appellate review in Citizens Rx vs. Fresno Unified San Francisco Superior Court Case No, CPF-17-515641
Next, Jeff Friesen, Executive Director of Maintenance and Operations, led the Pledge of Allegiance. He is retiring after serving the district for 28 years.
The Board of Education approved the minutes from the April 19, 2017 meeting and the April 24, 2017 special meeting.
The Board of Education recognized the Executive Board from the Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) Region IX, Fresno Consolidated Charter, who donated proceeds from their first annual golf tournament to the Fresno Unified Scholarship Fund.
Next, Interim Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Thanking all retirees who were honored at the Fresno Unified Retirement Dinner. Of the retirees who attended, there were more than 1,660 years of school district experience combined with about one dozen individuals working close to or more than 40 years for Fresno Unified. Nelson thanked all that gave their time and talents to the children of Fresno Unified and asked that everyone applause their achievements.
- Pointing out Jeff Friesen who is retiring after 28 years with Fresno Unified and is the Executive Director of Maintenance Operations, Cyndy Quintana, who is retiring after 27 years with Fresno Unified in the Human Resources department as well as Dave Calhoun, Tammy Townsend and Jorge Aguilar. Nelson thanked all of them for their dedication and years of service.
- Recognizing McLane’s ArtVenture program for producing the documentary “Ground Water Zero” during the 2015/16 school year which won them an Award of Merit from the National Academy of Television and Sciences (NATAS). He called up Kim Stephens, co-anchor of Great Day on KMPH Fox 26 who is the local representative for the San Francisco/Northern California Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, to present the award to McLane ArtVenture students and congratulated all involved in the production.
- Recognizing Fresno High graduate Nataly Romero Robledo, who successfully completed high school with a 4.0 GPA and will be attending UC-Berkeley in the fall. Nataly has overcome significant obstacles in her life including being homeless and an unaccompanied minor. She was recently on the cover of the Sacramento Bee and will be the front page story of the Council of the Great City Schools’ monthly newsletter Urban Educator. He thanked the Sacramento Bee for publishing her story and her recently started GoFundMe account to help pay her tuition to college.
- Congratulating all Class of 2017 graduates and showed a video recapping all of the ceremonies.
Following Interim Superintendent Nelson’s remarks, the Board of Education took the following actions on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved personnel list
- Adopted findings of fact and recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Adopted Resolution 16-23 delineating authorized district agents to sign on behalf of Fresno Unified School District
- Adopted Resolution 16-24 authorizing inter-fund loans for cash flow purposes
- Adopted Resolution No. 16-25 authorizing debt service estimate to be provided to the County of Fresno
- Adopted Annual Resolution for appointment of high school representatives and multi-school membership applications for the California Interscholastic Federation for the 2017/18 school year
- Approved agreements for legal and investigation services for 2017/18
- Approved amendment for Claremont Partners
- Approved Delta Health Systems/Team Care Administrative Services
- Approved services agreement between Fresno County Superintendent of Schools and Fresno Unified School District for FRESH After School Programs
- Approved Article 20 waivers for various schools for the 2017/18 school year
- Approved Memorandums of Understanding with the following charter schools: Aspen Meadow Public School, Aspen Valley Prep Academy, and Sierra Charter School
- Approved the Special Education Annual Budget and Service Plans and Service Descriptions for 2017/18
- Approved authorization to utilize individual piggyback contracts for 2017/18
- Approved agreement with CORE for Shared Administrator Services and the Accompanying Employment Agreement between Fresno Unified School District and Michelle Steagall, Associate Superintendent for School Leadership
- Approved rejecting all bids for Request for Proposals E20001 and E20002, Wide Area Network Services
- Approved rejecting all bids for Request for Proposals E20004, Configuration Support for Next Generation Firewall
- Approved request for Proposal 17-06, Document Capture and Management System
- Approved request for Qualifications 17-33, Student Mentoring Services
- Approved Targeted School Site Contracts for Student Mentoring Services
- Approved award of Bid 17-26 A-D, Installation of Exterior Lighting Upgrade at Various Campuses
- Approved rejecting Bid 17-27, Edison and Roosevelt High Schools Tennis Courts Improvements. Trustee Ashjian abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
- Approved award of Bid 17-32, Expansion of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Fueling Facility Row 3
- Approved award of Bid 17-34, Fresh Juice and Dairy Products
- Approved award of Bid 17-38A and B, Ahwahnee Middle School and Duncan High School Existing Lockers Demolition and Installation of New Lockers
- Approved award of Bid 17-39, 2017 Summer Portable Relocation and Infrastructure. Trustee Ashjian abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
- Approved award of Bid 17-42, Adult Transition Program Portable Classroom Relocation
- Approved agreement with Fresno Police Department for School Resource Chaplaincy Program in Elementary Schools
- Approved the 2017/18 annual membership dues with the California School Boards Association/Education Legal Alliance, the Council of the Great City Schools, and the National School Boards Association Council of Urban Boards of Education
- Denied Claim #17-0517-0171
- Denied Claim #17-0525-0188
- Ratified Fresno City College Partnership Grant Application and Award for the Fund for Student Success: Middle College High School for Design Science Early College High School
- Ratified Master Contract with Eagle Ranch Academy and Fresno Unified School District for non-public school and residential placement
- Ratified Independent Contractor Services Agreement with California State University, Fresno Foundation
- Ratified Change Order and Filing of Notice of Completion for Bid 17-09 A-D, Playground Installation at four Elementary Schools (Calwa, Centennial, Ewing, and Wilson Elementary Schools)
- Ratified purchase orders from April 1, 2017 through April 30, 2017. Trustee Jonasson Rosas abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
After the consent agenda, staff made presentations to the Board in the conference/discussion section of the agenda as follows:
- Discussed and adopted Fresno Unified School District’s 2017/18 Local Control and Accountability Plan
- Discussed and adopted Fresno Unified School District’s 2017/18 Proposed Budget and Education Protection Account
- Discussed and approved annual agreements for the 2017/18 school year. Trustee Jonasson Rosas abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
- Discussed and approved Proposed Revisions for Board Policies (BP) 1621, (NEW) 3470, 5121, 6159, 6159.3, 6162.5, 6162.51, and 6185
Next, the Board of Education received:
- Deferred Maintenance Five-Year Plan/Assessment
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare St. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board.