The January 25, 2017 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board of Education approved two Worker’s Compensation claims and took action on an existing legal case
Next, Isaac Doughtery, recent graduate and recipient of ACSA’s “Every Student Succeeding” award led the Pledge of Allegiance. Isaac was featured in a special ACSA video.
The Board of Education approved the minutes from the December 14, 2016 regular meeting.
The Board of Education adopted a resolution proclaiming the month of February 2017 as African American History Month
Jennifer Garcia ASB Commissioner of Link Crew and SAB Representative from Roosevelt High School provided a report to the Board of Education, sharing details of yesterday’s SAB meeting and ongoing events at Roosevelt. Jennifer Garcia thanked Trustee Jonasson Rosas for attending yesterday’s SAB meeting and thanked her for answering questions. In addition, Tehipite Middle School student ambassadors were also introduced and given the opportunity to share highlights of various school activities and experiences.
Next, Superintendent Hanson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Sharing highlights of last night’s open house at Addicott Elementary, showing off the sites new modernized buildings and campus. Addicott serves Fresno Unified’s most medically fragile and severely disabled students in kindergarten through 6thgrade. The Superintendent thanked Fresno voters who passed Measure Q making the $2.5-million-dollar modernization possible. Superintendent went on to thank Addicott Principal Katrina Pleshe, community partners who made yesterday possible and the Fansler Foundation for their generous grant providing equipment for the amazing sensory room. Superintendent Hanson shared a video highlighting the modernization at Addicott.
- With approval of agenda item A-11 later this evening, the district will officially launch our new emergency notification system, “Rapid Alert” next week. The launch will include, principal talking points, posters, fact sheets and TV commercials on a number of local stations, and in multiple languages. On February 8, a test message will go out to parents and guardians with easy to follow instructions on how to Opt In. It’s important that parents Opt In to give the district permission to contact them via text message. Over the next few weeks, we want to be sure that parents and guardians: are aware of the new system; that they Opt In when they receive that message on the 8; and most importantly, that they update school sites of any changes to their emergency cell phone numbers on file. Next to Opting In, that is key to ensure parents receive alerts. The Superintendent shared a sample of one of the “Rapid Alert”commercials.
- Superintendent Hanson ended his remarks by noting a discussion on the upcoming initiative to add Health and Wellness Centers on school campuses scheduled for the February 8 Board Meeting. On Monday and Tuesday, February 6 and 7, in advance of that meeting, health providers and staff will be available to the Board to answer questions, and review and discuss the contracts.
Following Superintendent Hanson’s remarks, the Board of Education took the following actions on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved personnel actions for Fresno Unified employees
- Adopted findings of fact and recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Adopted budget revision No. 2 for FY 2016/17
- Approved an agreement with Claremont Partners
- Approved annual agreement with the California Office to Reform Education
- Approved agreement for External Audit Services
- Approved award of Bid 17-02, Bread Products
- Approved Independent Contract Services Agreement with Good Company Players
- Approved agreement with Hanover Research
- Approved renewal of Independent Contractor Services Agreement with Panorama, Inc. for survey administration and reporting services
- Approved Service Agreement with media partnership for community outreach and communication
- Ratify the filing of Notices of Completion for Bid 16-18 compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling conversion 2016 row 2. (President Ashjian abstained due to a remote financial interest under board bylaw 9270).
- Ratified purchase orders (President Ashjian abstained due to a remote financial interest under board bylaw 9270).
After the consent agenda, staff made a presentation to the Board in the conference/discussion section of the agenda as follows:
- Presented update for the Joint Health Management Board
- Presented and discussed overview of Governor’s 2017/18 Proposed Budget
- Discussed and approved the appointments of Board members to committees and organizations
There were no Receive items for the Board of Education.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare St. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at go.fresnou.org/board