The February 13 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
The Board approved the following appointments:
- Promoted Nancy Paniagua-Witrado from Head Counselor at Sunnyside High School to Director of Counseling & Guidance, College and Career Readiness
- Moved Kali’ Isom-Moore from Principal II at Jefferson Elementary to Principal on Special Assignment, School Leadership
- Hired Rene “Eric” Martinez as Principal on Special Assignment
Next, Sherri Arrington and Porsha Lacy, parents that have had a positive impact at Kings Canyon Middle School led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Next, Mayra Carrillo, ASB representative from McLane High School, shared with the board that they just celebrated their Scottie Academic Awards Banquet for Honor Roll and Principal’s Honor Roll students in which over 300 students received awards. Carrillo also shared that McLane received a gold, silver and a bronze medal at the Academic Decathlon. Through art, students want to raise awareness of the human trafficking issue; ArtVenture students displayed human size pop-up cutouts of victims of this crime in downtown Fresno. In January, the high school held their recognition black light rally themed Highlanders in Wonderland, giving a special black light react shirt to the top 150 students utilizing ATLAS strides. Kindness week is scheduled for next month to promote random acts of kindness throughout the school.
Students from Yosemite Middle School were present and spoke about what they love about being a student at their school.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Highlighting we are four months away from graduation season, which can be a reminder for students looking to pursue a post-secondary education to be aware that Fresno Unified Scholarship Fund applications are now available. Applications can be found on the district website and are due to the Department of College and Career Readiness by March 15. Employees who would like to donate through a payroll deduction, can find more info on the District website under the COMMUNITY link.
- Nelson also shared that during the recent Fresno County Academic Decathlon, the Edison High School Team took first place overall. In Division 1 Bullard Knights took third place. Design Science was recognized as the event’s most improved team, taking home the Division 3 title just ahead of Duncan Polytechnical High School, who placed second in the same division.
- Superintendent shared that last Friday the community came together to celebrate the recently completed $5.2 million renovations at Rata High School. Past Rata principals, joined by a number of Board Trustees, were present for the official ribbon cutting ceremony. Edison leadership students decorated the campus and Bullard cheerleaders and Tenaya leadership students served as greeters while Cooper Academy provided entertainment with folkloric dancers.
- Last, Superintendent shared that last week Fresno Unified hosted its Annual Excellence in Education awards banquet. An event in where family, friends and fellow colleagues came together to celebrate some of the wonderful work done by Fresno Unified employees. Student board members Malak Sarama and Eduardo Casarubias joined Deputy Superintendent and CFO Ruthie Quinto and Bryan Wells from the instructional team to unveil the 2019 Excellence in Education winners. Congratulations to Lorena Almaguer (Roosevelt High School), Classified Employee of the Year; Kirsten Lee (Eaton Elementary School), Certificated Elementary Educator of the Year; Esmeralda Ruiz (Sequoia Middle School), Certificated Middle School Educator of the Year; Tamela Ryatt (Sunnyside High School), Certificated High School Educator of the Year; and Pamela Taylor (Easterby Elementary School), Administrator of the Year. Special congratulations to Lorena, Kirsten and Pam, who are moving on to the Fresno County Educator of the Year awards later this fall. Thousands of employees in this district are doing incredible work on behalf of our 74,000 students and their efforts are making us a better district. Here is a video highlighting some of the night’s biggest moments.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting, January 15, 2019
- Adopted Healthy Air Living Standards Resolution
- Adopted Resolutions Delineating Authorized District Agents to Sign on Behalf of Fresno Unified School District
- Approved Termination of Convenience Agreement and Mutual Release between Fresno Unified and Conterra Wireless Broadband, LLC
- Approved Addendum to Independent Contractor Services Agreement with Goodfellow Occupational Therapy
- Approved Award of Bid 19-01, Plumbing Supplies
- Approved Award of Bid 19-13, Installation of Exterior Lighting for Various Middle Schools
- Approved Award of Bid 19-18 Phase 2B, Installation of District Video Security System at Elementary Schools
- Approved Revised Job Description for Nutrition Services Manager, Designation as Classified, Non-Exempt, and Approved Revisions to the Food Services Salary Schedule for Nutrition Services Cook/Baker and Nutrition Services Manager
- Ratified Three Agreements between Fresno Unified School District and State Center Community College District for the State Center Adult Education Consortium Staff Reimbursement of Costs
- Ratified Memorandum of Understanding with State Center Community College District for the Adult Education Program Allocation
- Ratified Change Order for the Project Listed Below
- Bid 18-02, Adult Transition Program (ATP) Modernization Project
- Ratified the Filing of Notices of Completion
- Bid 18-02, Adult Transition Program (ATP) Modernization Project
- Bid 19-03, Kings Canyon Middle School Baseball Field and Softball Field Improvements Rebid
- Ratified Purchase Orders from November 1, 2018 through November 30, 2018 – Primary Report
- Ratified Purchase Orders from November 1, 2018 through November 30, 2018- Supplemental Report ( board clerk Carol Mills abstained pursuant board Bylaw 9270)
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Presented and Discussed Master Plan for English Learner Success: Implementation Update
- Discussed and Approved Addendum to Independent Contractor Services Agreement with PresenceLearning, Inc.
- Public Discussion for the Fresno Teachers Association- Trades Professionals Initial Proposal to the Fresno Unified School District for the 2019-2022 Successor Agreement
- Public Discussion and Adopted the Fresno Unified School District Initial Proposal to the Fresno Teachers Association – Trades Professionals for the 2019-2022 Successor Agreement
- Public Discussion of the Fresno Teacher Association Initial Proposal to the Fresno Unified School District for the 2019-2022 Successor Agreement
- Public Discussion and Adopted the Fresno Unified School District Initial Proposal to the Fresno Teacher Association
- Presented and Discussed the 2019/20 Strategic Budget Development
- Discussed and Approved Appointment of Board Member to Dailey Charter School’s Board of Directors
There were no items in the information and report portion of the Agenda
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare Street. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board.