Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on December 15th, 2021
The December 15th, 2021 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The Board took action to appoint Steven Shubin to the role of Executive Officer (General) with the Payroll & Benefits department.
- The Board took action to appoint David Chavez to the role of Chief Human Resources/Labor Relations with the Human Resources department.
- The Board took action to appoint Wendy McCulley to the role of Chief of Engagement and External Partnerships with the Superintendent’s Office.
- The Board took action to hire Diana Diaz to the role of Director (General) with the Communications department.
- The Board took action to appoint Paul Idsvoog to the role of Chief Operations Officer with the Operational Services department.
Next, Deputy Superintendent Her provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Deputy Superintendent Her started her remarks by sending our love to Superintendent Nelson and his family. Superintendent Nelson’s father passed away very early this morning after some time in the hospital. Superintendent was able to be by his father’s side and support his family through this incredibly tough time, and for that we are grateful. Superintendent shares his gratitude to all who have reached out and sent their love to him and his family. He is focused on being present with his loved ones at this time.
- Deputy Superintendent announced to parents, students, and staff that up to date bus schedules and bell schedules will be available on your school’s website by the end of this weekend at the latest. Please check your school’s website before we return from winter break on Tuesday, January 11th to prepare for our second semester. You can find links to every school’s website at schools.fresnounified.org.
- Deputy Superintendent reminded our staff that we are holding our third of four virtual Staff Town Halls tomorrow from 4pm to 5pm. The presentation was developed based on the questions that staff have directly submitted and questions will be answered live as well. Deputy Superintendent realizes not everyone is able to join at 4pm tomorrow, so as always, Communications will send the full recording and presentation to all staff by the end of the week. Deputy Superintendent will lead the Town Hall in place of Superintendent Nelson and will have Executive Cabinet members on the line to answer questions.
- Deputy Superintendent shared the winter Professional Learning Summit is coming up on January 6th and 7th. The PL Summit will feature 120 different courses from 11 different departments, all based on teacher feedback. Teachers will be compensated at the supplemental rate for as few as one course and as many as six courses. Sign up through iAchieve by January 3rd.
- Deputy Superintendent shared that one session at the PL Summit will be all about how teachers can use ATLAS Connect, a tool shared at a press conference just last week. ATLAS Connect is designed with teachers in mind, with the long-term intent to eliminate the need to utilize other apps like Remind. Right now, teachers can send messages to their whole classrooms through ATLAS Connect Classroom Announcements and teachers can also message one-on-one with parents through ATLAS Connect Conversations. Deputy Superintendent share her favorite feature of ATLAS Connect, that messages are automatically translated back and forth between the parent’s preferred language and English. Deputy Superintendent encouraged teachers to sign up for this session.
- Deputy Superintendent reminded all staff that our Board of Education approved the First Interim Financial Report last Wednesday night which moved us forward on staff’s 4% ongoing pay raise. All staff will be receiving a check by December 17th, if not already, that includes two things:
- First, staff will receive your 4% raise retroactive from July 1st through November, and
- Second, staff will see a one-time payment of one-half percent of your 2020-2021 base salary.
- Deputy Superintendent shared that starting with staff’s regular December check, staff will see their 4% raise included and that will be ongoing.
- Deputy Superintendent also shared gratitude from she and Superintendent Nelson to our Student Engagement team and Curriculum and Instruction team, specifically Michele Pacheco and Leslie Loewen, for bringing the Killer High documentary to all 7th through 10th graders. Deputy Superintendent shared a video where she and District Attorney Lisa Smittcamp visited a screening at Sunnyside earlier this week.
- Lastly, Deputy Superintendent congratulated Anne Hendrickson, band director at Manchester GATE and Del Mar elementary schools, for being named Music Educator of the Year by the California Music Educators Association – Central Section! Anne will be honored on Friday, February 18 at the California All-State Music Educators Conference in Fresno as one of California’s finest music educators. Great job!
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Position and Adopted New Job Description for Fresno Teachers Association Trades Unit for the position of Lead – Filter Changer and the Revised Fresno Teachers Association Trades Unit – Trades Hourly Salary Schedule
- Approved 2021/22 Classified Hourly, Classified Food Services, Classified Operations, Confidential, Fresno Teachers Association (FTA) – Trades, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) Crafts, Supervisory, Fresno Area Substitute Teachers Association (FASTA), Certificated and Classified Management, Nurses and Speech Language Pathologists, Teachers and Librarians, Teachers on Special Assignment, Designated Teachers, Career Technical Ed/Vocational Ed Teachers, Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) Instructors, Lori Ann Infant Center, Child Development Center and Pace Teachers, Adult Education, PreKindergarten Teachers, and Classified Y-Rated Salary Schedules
- Approved Revised 2021/22 Classified Hourly, Classified Food Services, Classified Operations, Confidential, Fresno Teachers Association (FTA) – Trades, International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW) Crafts, Supervisory, Fresno Area Substitute Teachers Association (FASTA), Certificated and Classified Management, Nurses and Speech Language Pathologists, Teachers and Librarians, Teachers on Special Assignment, Designated Teachers, Career Technical Ed/Vocational Ed Teachers, Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) Instructors, Lori Ann Infant Center, Child Development Center and Pace Teachers, Adult Education, Pre-Kindergarten Teachers, and Classified Y-Rated Salary Schedules
- Approved Revised 2021/22 Classified Hourly, Classified Food Services and Classified Y-Rated Salary Schedules Salary Schedules
- Approved Four Retiree Contracts
- Approved Agreement with Aetna Life Insurance for PPO Network Services
- Approved Agreement with Education and Leadership Foundation for Newcomer English Learner Stipend Opportunities
- Approved Agreement with Education & Leadership Foundation to Support Winter Camps 2021
- Approved Two Agreements with Leadership Associates
- Approved Amendment to the Agreement with Delta Health Systems
- Approved Amendment Five to the Agreement with Elixir Rx Solutions, LLC
- Approved Amendment Six to the Agreement with London Medical Management
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Origami Risk, LLC
- Approved Amendment Two to the Agreement with Pinnacle Training Systems, LLC
- Approved Amendment to the Five-Year Agreement for the Department of General Services/Office of Administrative Hearings to Continue Services
- Approved Independent Contractor Service Agreement for HeliosEd and Approved Retiree Contract Agreement with Benedict J. Atitya to Provide Extra Support to the Human Resources Department
- Approved Educator Effectiveness Block Grant Plan
- Ratified Amendment to the Agreement with Forensic Analytical Consulting Services
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Presented and Discussed Plans for Engagement Related to the Local Control and Accountability Plan
- Discussed and Approved Appointment of Board Member Voting Representative and Alternate Voting Representative to the Fresno County Committee on School District Organization Elections
- Discussed and Approved Nominations to California School Boards Association’s Delegate Assembly
The Board of Education received the following Information or Reports:
- Received Proposed Revisions for Board Policies
- Received the 2022 List of Board Member Committees and Organizations
Finally, the annual organization of the Board of Education was completed with Trustee Elizabeth Jonasson-Rosas being elected as Board President and Trustee Genoveva Islas being elected as Board Clerk to serve for the next calendar year.
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, January 12th, 2021. A Board of Education Workshop is scheduled for Wednesday, January 5th, 2021. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.