Prior to closed session, the Oath of Office was administered to Re-Elected and Newly-Elected Board of Education Members: Keshia Thomas (Trustee Area 1), Valerie F. Davis (Trustee Area 3), Genoveva Islas (Trustee Area 4), Major Terrence Slatic USMC Retired (Trustee Area 7).
The December 12 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- The board took action on four workers’ compensation cases.
Next, Rochelle Cantu, a parent that had had a positive impact at Bakman Elementary led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Then, the board recognized:
- Jessica Valles, Sunnyside high school student and Cross-Country Division 3 Valley Champion along with Glenda Jacobsen, Head Coach
Next, Jubile Yang and Ashley Allen, ASB representatives from Design Science High School, shared with the board that they had a presentation about LCAP community outreach and their importance of attending meetings. In addition, they explained how School Culture and Climate Surveys area essential to give students a voice about their campus culture and the nature of relationships in school. Lastly, they talked about how Design Science High School took part in a project with UCSF to pair students with interns from medical school. Recently, their JROTC took first place in the San Joaquin Drill Meet, and currently 100% of seniors have applied for one or more colleges.
Students from Bullard Talent were present and spoke about what they love about being a student at their school.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Highlights from the district’s first student-teacher signing day. District leaders, instructional coaches, master teachers, site leaders and others joined student teachers as they signed their letter of intent and began their journey of having their own classroom. Now they will have an opportunity to substitute teach until they area formally picked up to lead their own classrooms. Superintendent shared pictures of the event as part of his presentation.
- Nelson also shared that the installation of gym equipment at three of the district’s high schools (Duncan, Fresno High and Edison) is nearing completion. Duncan received Powerlift racks with flooring, new paint and rubber coated dumbbells. Other weight and fitness equipment will arrive after the first of the year. Superintendent highlighted that the board will consider tonight phase two of the plan that will address gym equipment at our remaining high schools.
- Superintendent shared that once again the district has partnered with Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission to provide free meals during winter break. Sites, times and locations will be announced this Friday and a complete list will be available on the district website at www.Fresnounified.org
- Superintendent highlighted the heartwarming farewell that Copper Academy put together today for Officer Conrado Martin who is leaving to take on a new role within the Fresno Police Department. The video highlights the importance of building relationships and the impact it can have on our adults as well as our students.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting, October 17, 2018
- Adopted Resolution Regarding The District’s Commitment to Ensuring a Complete count of Students and Families During the 2020 Census
- Adopted Resolution Regarding the District’s commitment to Investigate the Use of Alternative Weed Control Products and Methods
- Adopted Resolution in the Matter of Declaring Certification of the November 6, 2018 election
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Career Technical Education Credential Holders
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Delta Health Systems TeleHealth Services
- Approved Renewal Agreement with Envision insurance Company for Retiree Prescription Services
- Approved Award of Bid 19-08, Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program to
- Fresno Produce, Group B
- 1st Quality Produce Group A
- Approved Award of Bid 19-09, Fresh Produce
- Aggregate 1 Nutrition Center
- 1st Quality Produce, Line Items: 3, 5-8,10,12,24,34,35,38,46,51-56, and 64
- Fresno Produce, Line Items: 2,4,9,13,18,23,40,41,44,45,48-50,57,59,61-63,65-71
- Peterson Farms, Line Item: 1
- Sysco Central California, Line Items: 11, 14-17, 19-22, 25-33, 36, 37, 42,43,47,58 and 60
- Aggregate 2 Middle and High Schools
- 1st Quality Produce
- Aggregate 1 Nutrition Center
- Approved Addendum to Master Agreement Between Fresno unified School District and Fresno City College/ State Center community College District
- Approved Memorandum of Understanding with Fresno County Superintendent of Schools
- Approved Award of Bid 19-11 Sections A and B, Installation of Parking Lot Lighting at Various Elementary Schools
- Approved Award Bid 19-12, Brawley Service Center Parking Improvements
- Approved Use of Individual Piggyback Contracts in 2018/19 for Purchase of Portable Classrooms and Restroom Buildings
- Approved Amendment 01 to Contract CSPP-8074 for California State Preschool Program and Approved Amendment 01 to Contract CCTR-8034 fro General Child Care and Development Programs from the California Department of Education
- Approved New Funding Awarded Though the Fresno County Transportation Authority Measure C Extension School Bus Replacement Program
- Approved Purchase of Fitness/Weight Equipment and Related Facility improvements for Bullard, Roosevelt and Sunnyside High Schools
- Approved Provisional Internship Permits
- Ratified Grant Application to the California Department of Education for the Student Support and Academic Enrichment Program
- Ratified Grant Submission to the California Department of Education for the After School Education and Safety Program – Kids Code Grant Pilot Program
- Ratified Partnership with the Fresno County Superintendent of Schools for a Grant Application to the California Department of Education for the After School Education and Safety Program –Kids Code Grant Pilot Program
- Ratified Master Contract with Mountain Valley Child & Family Services, Inc. and Fresno Unified School District for Nonpublic School and Residential Placement
- Ratified Renewal and New Applications to the California Department of Education – 21st Century Grant for Fresno Unified Sites with After School Programs though Fresno County Superintendent of Schools
- Ratified Change order for the Projects Listed Below:
- Bid 18-02, Adult Transition Program (ATP) Modernization Project
- Bid 18-24 Sections A-E, Water Conservation and Irrigation Improvements at Various schools
- Bid 18-35B, Yosemite Middle School Demolition of Existing Lockers and Installation of New Lockers
- Ratified the Filing of Notices of Completion
- Ratified Purchased Orders from August 1, 2018 through August 31,2018 (Trustee Jonasson Rosas, Trustee Cazares and Trustee Mills abstained pursuant to board Bylaw 9270)
- Ratified Purchased Orders from September 1, 2018 through September 30, 2018 and Zero Dollar Contracts (Trustee Mills abstained pursuant to board Bylaw 9270)
Next, the Board of Education took action on the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Discussed and Approved the 2017/18 Audited Financial Statements Prepared by Crowe LLP
- Discussed and Approved the 2018/19 First Interim Financial Report with Positive Certification
- Discussed and Approved Appointment of Board Member Representative and Alternate Voting Representative to the Fresno County Committee on School District Organization Elections
Next, the Board received information and Report agenda items:
- Received 2017/18 School Facility Fee Public information Report
- Received the California School Employees Association and its Fresno Chapter 143 Food Service Initial Proposal to Fresno Unified School District for the 2019-2020 Reopener Agreement
- Received the Fresno Unified School District Initial Proposal to California School Employees Association and its Fresno Chapter 143 Food Service for the 2019-2020 Reopener Agreement
- Received the 2019 List of Board Member Committees and Organizations
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare Street. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board.