The August 9, 2017 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session.
- Ratified the dismissal of one classified employee
- Entered into stipulation for dismissal for Lewis C Nelson & Sons, Fresno Superior Court Case No. 12CECG00925
- Hired Wendy McCulley, Executive Management Fellow Advisor at the Office of the Superintendent, to Executive Director of School Leadership
- Promoted Carson Wood, Vice Principal II at J.E. Young, to Principal III at JE Young
Next, Maria Maldonado, Assistant Superintendent of English Learner Services, led the Pledge of Allegiance.
The Board of Education approved the minutes from the May 3, 2017 meeting.
Next, Interim Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Thanking community members for attending the meeting, hoping everyone had a nice summer break and marking this first school board meeting of August 2017 as the unofficial start of the new school year.
- Reminding the community to be safe and wary of students as they make their way around school campuses next week.
- More than 12,700 students attended summer school culminating in 118 more students receiving their high school diplomas on July 14. In addition, free and healthy lunches were offered at 45 campuses, serving more than 181,000 meals to students this summer. Fresno Unified has a successful partnership with the City of Fresno to create more “green” and “blue” spaces this summer by opening up pools at all seven comprehensive high schools. Initial number show more than 17,000 people used the pools from June 12 to August 6.
- Students and staff will be coming back to new facility improvements including a refinished floor at Sunnyside High’s practice gym, new gym lockers at Ahwahnee Middle and Duncan Polytechnical High schools, new multi-purpose room roofs at Heaton and Roeding elementary schools and for the locker rooms of Scandinavian and Tenaya middle schools, as well as new air conditioning improvements, water conservation projects and exterior painting at 16 schools and security lighting at all elementary schools.
- Highlighting the Board of Education’s $930 million dollar investments that will be seen this school year including expanded library tutoring, replacing computers for ELA and math classes, expansion of dual immersion programs in Spanish and Hmong, expanded health services, new teachers, additional social workers and child welfare specialists.
- Last weekend more than 350 new teachers attended training at McLane High School.
- Reminding families of the importance of completing their child’s immunizations in accordance with state law before a student can enter kindergarten or 7thgrade. Immunization clinics are being offered at Tioga Middle School until August 18th and at Sequoia Middle School until September 1.
- Recognizing and congratulating Jacquie Canfield, Director of Fiscal Services, on her retirement.
- Wishing everyone a terrific first day of school on Monday.
Following Interim Superintendent Nelson’s remarks, the Board of Education took the following actions on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved personnel list
- Adopted findings of fact and recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Adopted Resolution 17-01, requesting renewal of exemption from the Definition of School Building for J.E. Young Academic Center and Fulton Special Education
- Adopted Resolution terminating the Joint Powers Agreement and dissolving the Central California Education Legislation Consortium
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Career Technical Education Credential Holders
- Approved annual agreements for the 2017-18 school year
- Approved budget appropriation for District Art Collaborative Expansion. Trustee Claudia Cazares abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270.
- Approved agreement with CBIZ Benefits and Insurances Services
- Approved Provisional Internship Permits
- Approved Addendum to Agreement with Creative Alternatives
- Approved Article 20 Waivers for various schools for the 2017/18 school year
- Ratified submission of grant application to the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District for the 2017 School Bus Incentive Program
- Ratified and approved agreement with Project Management Associates to upgrade the Electronic Time System with the Personnel/Payroll System
- Ratified and approved the Addendum to the Center for Advanced Research and Technology (CART) Operating Agreement
- Ratified agreement with Kroll Information Assurance, LLC
- Ratified agreement with Village Glen School and Fresno Unified School District for Non-public School and Residential Placement
- Ratified Kaiser Permanente Grant Applications for 2017/18 Community Benefit Program
- Ratified the extension of an Independent Contractor Services Agrement with Discovia for 2017/18
After the consent agenda, staff made presentations to the Board in the conference/discussion section of the agenda as follows:
- Approved Budget Revision No. 1 for Fiscal Year 2017/18
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare St. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://www.fresnounified.org/sites/board.