The August 8, 2018 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session:
- Tamera “Tami” Lundberg, Executive Director Information Technology
Next, District staff member Patrick Jensen led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Next Superintendent Nelson welcomed staff back for the start of the 2018/19 school year and provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Highlighting the immense work done this summer to support students over the break from summer learning to free meals to prepare for the new school year. Superintendent shared a short summer video recap.
- Superintendent congratulated 119 summer school graduates, 92 of which walked across the graduation stage in a special ceremony on July 13 at the Audra McDonald Theater at Roosevelt High School
- As school starts Monday, August 13 Nelson shared a public service announcement (PSA) currently running on local television stations to remind the public about student safety as students head back to school
- Superintendent spoke about today’s district-wide Active Assailant Training thanking facilitators from the Fresno County Sherriff’s Department who led staff through Run Hide Fight preparation. He shared that district posters reflecting Run Hide Fight were on their way to school sites and district offices to serve as reminders to parents and staff of this initiative.
Following Superintendent Nelson’s remarks, the Board of Education took the following actions on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved personnel list for Fresno Unified employees
- Adopted findings of fact and recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Approved minutes from May 23, 2018 meeting
- Adopted variable term waiver for Career Technical Education Credential Holders
- Approved Budget Revisions No. 1 for Fiscal Year 2018-19
- Approve Annual Agreements for the 2018/19 School Year
- Approve Provisional Internship Permits
- Approve Article 20 Waivers for Various Schools for the 2018/19 School Year
- Approve Donation from Francine and Murray Farber to Provide Teaching Artists for Tehipite Middle School Students
- Approve Memorandum of Understanding with the School of Unlimited Learning (President Jonasson Rosas abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270)
- Approve Fresno County Cradle to Career Partnership
- Approve Updated Energy Service Agreement with NORESCO (Trustee Cazares abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270)
- Ratified Agreement with Fresno Police Department for Student Resource Officers, and Approved Increase to Operational Services Budget
- Ratified Change Orders for Bid 17-14 Fresno High School Royce Hall Acoustical Improvements and Remodel, 18-02 Adult Transition Program (ATP) Modernization Project, 18-05 McLane High School Bio-retention Basin Project, 18-08 HVAC Improvements in the Multipurpose Rooms for Pyle Elementary School, Fort Miller and Yosemite Middle Schools, 18-14 Addams Elementary School Portable Relocation and Infrastructure. (Trustee Ashjian abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270).
- Ratified the Filing of the Notice of Completion for Bid 17-27R Section A and B, Edison and Roosevelt High Schools Tennis Courts Improvements Rebid, 18-05 McLane High School Bio-retention Basin Project, 18-06 Sections A-C and F, Playground Equipment Installation for Columbia, Edison-Bethune, Jefferson and Kirk Elementary Schools, 18-08 HVAC Improvements in the Multipurpose Rooms for Pyle Elementary School, Fort Miller and Yosemite Middle Schools, 18-17 Section C, Installation of Exterior Lighting Upgrades for Anthony, Bakman, and Olmos Elementary Schools and Cambridge High School, 18-21 Sunnyside High School Irrigation Improvements (Trustee Ashjian abstained pursuant to Board Bylaw 9270)
- Ratified Purchase Orders from May 1, 2018, through May 31, 2018, and Zero Dollar Contracts. (President Jonasson Rosas and Trustee Ashjian abstained due to Board Bylaw 9270).
There were no Conference/Discussion Agenda Items
Board received the Improving Special Education Services in the Fresno Unified School Distinct Report
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, August 22, 2018, at 5:30 p.m. at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare St. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board.