Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on August 23rd, 2023
The August 23rd, 2023 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of closed session:
- The Board took action in closed session to promote Xee Yang to Director in Human Resources.
- The Board took action in closed session to promote Manila Yang to Director in Human Resources.
- The Board took action in closed session on a worker’s compensation claim.
- The Board took action in closed session to approve dismissal charges for a certificated employee.
Next, the Board of Education Adopted Resolutions Honoring Former Fresno Unified Board Members Patricia Barr, Mary Curry, Lindsay “Cal” Johnson, and Nancy Richardson.
Next, the Board of Education Recognized Tami Lundberg for Contributions to the Council of the Great City Schools.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson started his remarks sharing his gratitude and pride in a wonderful kick-off to the 23/24 school year! Superintendent shared his excitement being able to see our student investments in action both inside the classroom and beyond the classroom. Superintendent Nelson mentioned younger siblings joining for free breakfast with their school-aged siblings, our new Campus Safety Assistants, and some of the 22 clothing closets for students across the district. Superintendent shared this video showcasing some of the opportunities, support, learning and love across the district in the first week of school.
- Superintendent Nelson then shared several celebrations including:
- Our very own Trustee Keshia Thomas who has been selected as one of Marjaree Mason’s Top 10 Professional Women,
- Tami Lundberg, Chief Technology Officer, for her national recognition from the Council of the Great City Schools and from Fresno State as the Distinguished Alumnus from the school of Math, Science and Technology,
- Manchester GATE claimed the impressive No. 4 spot for the best elementary schools in California by the U.S. News, and
- Our Foundation for Fresno Unified Schools and Office Depot for showering Del Mar with so much love (and supplies!) for the first day of school!
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Adopted Resolution 24-07, Certifying Course-Based Independent Study at eLearn Academy
- Approved Position and Adopted Job Description of Manager, Grounds and Landscape Services and Classified Management Salary Schedule 261 Duty Days
- Approved the 2023/24 Spring Release Consolidated Application to the California Department of Education
- Approved Addendum to Provide an Additional Student Resource Officer Supervisor
- Approved Multiyear Agreement with K12 Strategic Technology Advisory Group for the Continuous Improvement Leadership Cohort for Digital Transformation and Growth
- Approved Memorandums of Understanding with Partner Organizations Involved in the Equity-Centered Pipeline Initiative
- Approved Award of Request for Qualifications 24-08, Health Professionals Staffing Services
- Approved Award of Request for Proposals 24-10, Air Purifier Upgrades for Various Sites
- Denied Claim GL23-0608-9292
- Ratified Agreement with Elite Event Center
- Ratified Agreement with Nightingale Dispute Consultants, Inc.
- Ratified Change Orders
The Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Presented and Discussed Bulldog Bound Partnership with Fresno State
The Board of Education received the following Information or Reports at this meeting:
- Received the Fresno Unified School District Fourth Quarter Investment Report for Fiscal Year 2022/23
- Received Constituent Services Quarterly Reporting
The next meeting of the Board of Education will be on Wednesday, September 13th, 2023. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org.