The August 22 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session.
- Jane Banks was hired as Director of Health Services
- The Board took action on three worker compensation claims
Next, Bullard Teacher Charles Rocha led the Pledge of Allegiance
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education including:
- Sharing details of last week’s press event with Fresno City College to launch Neighborhood Campus classes at Sunnyside and Edison high schools. Night classes will provide opportunities for the community and students to take college courses in their own neighborhood. Classes include: Graphics, Photography, Intro to Health Careers, Communications, Intro to Business and more
- Nelson shared that three of our comprehensive high schools have ranked in the top 5 in their school size by the California Student Aid Commission for the largest number of seniors in the State who completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act application. Congratulations to Edison, Sunnyside and Fresno High. Staff from these three sites will be joining the governor for a special celebration in Sacramento in October where only 35 California schools throughout the state will be recognized.
- Superintendent went on to share the district’s summer literacy camp led by the African American Academic Acceleration team with support from Springboard Collaborative exceeded its goal as students averaged 4.9 months of growth. The results stem from a 5-week pilot program held this summer at Baird.
- He finished his remarks by introducing a group of student leaders from Scandinavian Middle School and SAB students from across the district who were in attendance. Next week SAB students will vote on two member representatives and alternates to serve on the Board of Education during the 2018/19 school year.
The Board of Education took the following actions on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of the District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting, May 30, 2018
- Adopted Emergency Repair Resolution 18-05 Pursuant to Public Contract Code Section 22050; and Approved agreement for Fresno High School Gymnasium Roof Repair
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Career Technical Educational Credential Holders
- Adopted Waiver for Patricia Mancine to Serve as a Speech Language Pathologist
- Approved Addendum to the Center for Advanced Research and Technology Operating Agreement with correction on the funds needed as 50% of the total cost shared with Clovis Unified.
- Approved 2018/19 Consolidated Application for Categorical Aid Programs Spring Release to the California Department of Education
- Approved Request for Allowance of Attendance Due to Emergency Conditions
- Approved for Special Education Annual Budget and Service Plans and Service Descriptions for 2018/19
- Approved Provisional Internship Permits
- Denied Claim #GL18-0309-1258
Next, staff made presentations to the Board in the conference/discussion section of the agenda as follows:
- Presented and Discussed Opening of Schools 2018/19 School Year
- Presented and Discussed the Improving Special Education Services in the Fresno Unified School District Report.
- Presented and Discussed Constituent Services Reporting
The Board of Education received the following information or reports:
- Received Fresno Unified School District’s Fourth Quarterly Investment Report for Fiscal Year 2017/18
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education is Wednesday, September 5, 2018, at the Fresno Unified Education Center, located at 2309 Tulare St. in Fresno. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at https://go.fresnou.org/board.