Summary of the Board of Education Meeting on April 21, 2021
The April 21, 2021 meeting of the Board of Education began with the following announcements out of Closed Session.
- The Board took action to promote Timona Martin, Vice Principal II at Baird Middle School to Principal at Baird Middle School
- The Board took action to promote Javan Childs, Vice Principal III at McLane High School to Principal at Computech Middle School
- The Board took action to lateral Antonio Sanchez, Principal II at Gibson Elementary School to Principal at Calwa Elementary School
- The Board took action to lateral Brian Beck, Assistant Superintendent at Special Education to Assistant Superintendent at Instructional Division.
Next, Mia Ferguson SAB representative from Bullard High School, shared the success of their theater department’s play “Come Blow Your Horn”. Bullard High School is promoting a district wide “Turn on Your Camera Day” for students on May 7. This is in honor of Teacher Appreciation Week to show our gratitude for all that our teachers do for us.
The School Student Ambassadors from Wawona School also shared what they love about Wawona School.
Next, Superintendent Nelson provided a brief report to the Board of Education, including:
- Superintendent Nelson started by sharing that next week a letter will be landing at home for students for our Summer Academy program. This program is our traditional summer school program – helping elementary and middle school students catch up on their academic skills areas like literacy or math while providing opportunities for high school students to recover academic credits. Last year we launched a unique and new offering with our summer camp programs – these are student enrichment opportunities above and beyond academic recovery. We will share more around summer camps next month, including how students can register.
- Next, the Superintendent shared that our board will review and discuss staff plans for our district’s outdoor in-person graduation plans for the Class of 2021. As you know, I made a promise to our seniors from last year that they would get their opportunity to be honored. Our seniors deserve to be celebrated and with local health conditions improving and Fresno County reaching the orange tier, we all look forward to celebrating our class of 2020 and 2021.
- Last, Superintendent Nelson took a couple of minutes to share that ALL THREE of our district Excellence in Education winners who moved on to the Fresno County Educator of the Year awards have been selected as finalists in their categories. Kaylah Salinas, a computer lab tech at Fresno High School is a finalist as an Employee of the Year. Norseman Elementary School teacher Dana Hobby is a finalist for Teacher of the Year and Gaston Middle School principal Courtney Curtis is a finalist for Administrator of the Year. They will compete against two other finalists from throughout the county in their categories, with winners announced in November.
Next, the Board of Education took the following action on the below consent agenda items:
- Approved Personnel List
- Adopted Findings of Fact and Recommendations of District Administrative Board
- Approved Minutes from Prior Meeting
- Adopted Resolution Proclaiming May 6 – 10, 2021 Teacher and Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week
- Adopted Variable Term Waiver for Career Technical Education Credential Holders
- Approved Budget Revision No. 4 for Fiscal Year 2020/21
- Approved Award of Bid 21-35, Jackson Elementary Multipurpose Building Reconstruction
- Approved Graduation Agreements for the Class of 2020 and 2021
- Ratified Grant Application to the Learning Communities for School Success Program
- Ratified Change Orders for the Projects Listed Below
- Bid 20-20, McLane High Library Modernization
- Bid 20-30, Roosevelt High School Cafeteria Modernization
- Bid 20-49, Juan Felipe Herrera New Elementary School
(Board member Jonasson- Rosas abstain pursuant Board Bylaw 9270)
- Ratified the Filing of Notices of Completion
- Bid 20-20, McLane High Library Modernization
- Bid 21-08, Sunnyside High School Stadium Turf Installation
Next, the Board of Education discussed the below conference/discussion agenda items:
- Ratified the 2019- 2022 Negotiated Collective Bargaining Agreement between Fresno Unified School District and International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- Presented and Discussed Student Voice Collaborative for the 2020/21 School Year
- Presented and Discussed Introduction to Attendance Boundary Adjustments
- Presented and Discussed the 2021/22 Strategic Budget Development
The next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Education will be Wednesday, May 5, 2021. Complete minutes and agendas are available online at board.fresnounified.org